Monday, April 26, 2010

He is able to keep us from stumbling

“Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.”

Jude : verse 24 (New King James Version)


Lets turn our Bibles to Matthew 26 : 33 , “Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”” Peter relied on his own strength and he said he would not deny Jesus. He relied on his own strength when he said he would not stumble.

There are some of us who think we can overcome sin by our own strength. We think ‘I will not fall when tempted… I know myself’ and that is dangerous. When we rely on our own strength , we will fall . And so was the case of Peter, he denied Christ three times.

We read in John 21 , that Peter had gone back to his fishing. And we read in verses 15-17 that everytime when Jesus asked , “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter replied , “Yes, Lord ; You know that I love You.

Do you see the difference ? The first instance we saw , we read of Peter and confidence in himself. However here we see the humbless and submission of Peter to God. He says , “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” . Wow ! Not even ‘Yes of course I love you’ or ‘how could you ask me Lord !! Don’t You know that Lord ??” … no no no. Peter said “You know that I love You.” . Its what the Lord saw in Him that mattered and not what he thought of himself.

And that’s what we ought to do . The reason why many of us stumble and fall time and time again is because we try to overcome with our own strength. Yes we love the Lord ,but then we try in our own strength to keep ourselves from stumbling. But that’s not how we ought to be.

We have been called to rely on Him for He is faithful , we have been called to lean on Him and His understanding , we have been called to look to Him and focus on things of Him. And when we focus of Him and open our lives completely to Him and when we rely on Him and on His strength , He keeps us from stumbling and He presents us faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling ! Not we ourselves… but His strength. When faced with temptation just look to Him . He is able to keep us from stumbling.

We read in Psalm 94 : 18-19 , “If I say, “My foot slips,” Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment