Sunday, October 18, 2009

Shepherd's voice

"I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep, and my sheep know me. They know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I give my life for the sheep."

John 10:14-15


The parable is about Jesus, our shepherd and we his sheep. I love this passage and it comes alive as I read it. I can see a flock of white sheep on a hillside in a small pen. The shepherd walks through the gate and calls to them. The sheep seem to stir in excitement and gather close to the shepherd as he walks on ahead of them and leads them to the pastures.

"The sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought all of his own sheep out, he goes on ahead of them. His sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger. In fact, they will run away from him. They don't recognize a stranger's voice." John 10:3-5

Have you ever tried to call a friend and tried to speak in a voice that you hope they won't recognize? I have tried that trick with all my close friends and invariably fail every time. My close friends "Know" my voice. Infact if it was not me but a stranger they would probably just hang up!

We live in a time and age when hundred's of voices constantly bombard us. Voices of our friends, voices in the media, voices of our neighbours, voices of our culture, voices of our near and dear, voices of our desires and dreams, voices of the evil one... The passage says His sheep know His voice and that the sheep will never follow a stranger because they don't recognize his voice. In fact they will run from strangers!

Do you know the voice of your Shepherd? Do you wait calmly to hear his call and follow where he leads? Does his voice sound familiar to you? Do you run away from the voices of strangers?

This verse has been echoing in my heart repeatedly over the past few weeks reminding me of the need to "Know" my Shepherds voice and hear him above the voices of this world and the voices within me.

Shall we pray? Father, Shepherd of my soul, Help me to recognize your voice as a lover knows the voice of his loved one and may my soul listen and follow your voice alone.

God Bless

**Shared by Ms.Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment