Wednesday, January 13, 2010

No turning back !

“But Ruth said : “Entreat me not to leave you, Or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, And there will I be buried. The LORD do so to me, and more also, If anything but death parts you and me.”

Ruth 1 : 16-17 (New King James Version)


Naomi’s husband’s name was Elimelech and she had two sons Mahlon and Chilion. They went to the country of Moab and remained there. Then Elimelech died. Now both the sons took wives of the women of Moab. Their names were Orpah and Ruth. They continued to remain in Moab for about ten years. Then both her sons died and only Naomi and her two daughters-in-law remained. Now Naomi wanted to return back to Judah and she asked Orpah and Ruth to return to their people so that they can remarry and find rest. We read in verse 14 ,” Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.

Ruth’s faithfulness ! It did not matter what happened all around her, it did not matter if she did not know what the future held for her. She made a covenant in marriage. And she was faithful. She told Naomi that ‘wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God ’. She never looked back !!

And as we read the word of God we see how God honored her faithfulness. She was the great-grandmother of David. And Christ was born of the same lineage. Wow ! Thousands of years later the entire world still reads of her faithfulness.

Are we faithful to God ? Or when circumstances become difficult do we turn back ? Do we say ‘Lord wherever You lead I will follow’ ?

Ruth clung to Naomi. Do we cling to God ?

Death was the only thing that could separate Naomi and Ruth . Do you know the best thing about our God ? We read in Romans 8: 38-39 , “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment