Thursday, June 7, 2012

“You have heard that it was said, “ An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.”


 
Matthew 5: 38-42

 
The other night as I was sitting lazily on the sofa I heard water dripping from the faucet. My friend had not closed it properly. Now I was just so snug in my place that I didn’t want to get up and go all the way to the kitchen and close the faucet. But that drip drip drip sound was driving me crazy. So guess what I did ? I decided to the turn the volume up on my laptop so that the music would drown out the dripping sound !! And as I did that God laid on my heart “This doesn’t solve the problem. But this is how people resort to other people’s problems. Instead of getting up and helping out , they just sit in willful ignorance”. I immediately sprang up from where I was , went straight to the kitchen, closed the faucet well and came back to my place.

 
Of course this was about way more than a dripping faucet. Sometimes when we see people struggling, when we see someone in a problem, how willing are we to go out of our snug routine, out of our snug comfort zones to help out ? Its always going to be inconvenient.

 
Think about this
  • Whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also (If people willfully try and hurt you don’t worry about it, don’t try to get back at them, be willing to turn the other cheek to them also because God is on our side…. )
  • If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also (Its not about trying to prove you are right with all your might or go all defensive… If someone is trying all kinds of ways to get something from you desperately give it and more to them – that is a testimony too)
  • Whoever compels you to go one mile , go with him two – Whenever someone comes to you and asks for something , do more than what is expected… Do more than what is asked 
  • Give to him who asks you and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away – Give Give Give…

One translation puts it this way “Here's another old saying that deserves a second look: 'Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.' Is that going to get us anywhere? Here's what I propose: 'Don't hit back at all.' If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously

 

 During our week we come across a lot of situations where we feel “How could he/she do that to me ? They said that falsely about me ! He/She is all out to ruin me/defame me” … during the week we see so many people in need. So many people who need help… It could be at work, it could be our neighbors, it could be the person who delivers the paper , it could be someone you see on the subway… We pass hundreds of people during the course of a week who do not know Christ as their personal savior.

  
Do we ignore the problem by drowning out the noise sitting in willful ignorance ? Or do we react to circumstances and situations the way Christ has commanded us ? Do we walk in LOVE ?

 

We cant do this on our own… But we can do it by His grace ! If we would just ask “Lord help us walk in Love, Lord help us be as You would desire” He will answer our prayer. But the question is will this be our daily prayer? Will this be the desire of our heart to pursue walking in love every day every moment by His grace and for His glory ? If we would pray …we will see the fulfillment.

 

 God Bless

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment