Monday, December 26, 2011

Honor your father and mother

""Honor your father and mother" (this is the first commandment with a promise)"

Ephesians 6 : 2

Honor your father and mother. The dictionary defines honor as "to regard or treat (someone) with admiration and respect : to regard or treat with honor" .
Admiration and respect - This is hard to act out in actions unless it comes from a true heart. :-)

I love my parents so much. But this morning the Lord laid this on my heart and I prayed "Lord teach me to truly honor them". Its not about just supporting them , its not just about being a good son/daughter to our parents ... its about having a heart that truly honors them. And out of an overflow of a heart like that will flow actions that are equivalent.

I cant help but think back of how my parents felt when they first held me as a baby. The sacrifices they made all their life for my happiness , for my comforts.. putting the needs of their children first before their own. How many times as a child have our parents given us their share of something yummy :-) saying "Let her/him eat ... she likes it". And today do we find ourselves so self involved that few minutes sitting down with our parents has become such a big deal ?!

Romans 1 : 28-32 ,"And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God,God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them."

I pray that we may have a heart that truly honors our parents. I pray that we will ask God to teach us to honor them.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment