Monday, February 14, 2011

Not to be Served but to Serve

“And he preached, saying, “There comes One after me who is mightier than I, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to stoop down and loose.”

Mark 1 : 7 (New King James version)


Here is a man filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother’s womb. A man of whom was prophesied in the Old Testament. He was clothed with camel’s hair and with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. His life was dedicated to preparing the way for the coming of Christ. We read in verses 4-5 , “John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to him and were all baptized by him in the Jordan river, confessing their sins.

We read in verse 7 that he says he is not even worthy to stoop down and loose the sandal strap of Jesus. I want this to really hit home today by God’s grace. This is a man of God filled with the Holy Spirit totally dedicated to doing the Lord’s will. And he humbles himself to the point of being considered unworthy to even loose the sandal strap of Christ.

A lot of us think that the ministry we are involved in or the little things we do make us worthy . Some of us get into this mindset that ‘Oh I have sacrificed so much of my time and my effort for Christ…’ We need to get this basic fact really clear… we are unworthy to even touch His feet. He is the Holy of holies , He is the great I AM , He is the beginning and the end. It is He who makes us worthy. It is His blood that has ransomed us and now we are heirs in Christ.

This past week I was busy with a conference happening at church and honestly it was so easy to get into the mindset of ‘Oh see Lord what I am doing for you … I am sleeping for only 2 hours just for you’ and God really convicted me of this thinking. Praise the Lord for our Father who is so loving to His children that He corrects and prunes us with love.

Its not by works…Its by Grace !! He doesn’t need us … we need Him :-) God used a donkey to talk to a sorcerer :-) I’m so glad that God allows me to be used for His glory. Sometimes we get into this mindset that we are doing God a favor by reading His word, by praying … No no no … May the Lord correct us and prune us. His word is living and powerful.

We read in Mark 10:45, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment