Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Not a magic formula


"Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."

1 Samuel 17:45
 
This is a passage that most of us are familiar with. We have either heard it at church during service or for those who have attended sunday school this is one passage that definitely grabs everyone's attentions.
 
Now there were seasoned warriors present. Saul himself was a warrior. The entire army of Israel were there. Im sure they were pretty skilled. But no one could rise up.
 
Now here is David. He says to the Philistine "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts...". He is basically saying it doesnt matter what you have with you... I come in the name of the Lord.

Now what does that mean ? "I come in the name of the Lord".  Can anyone just say that ? Is it like "Abracadabra" or like "Bionics on !!" , one of those magic statements that just gives one super powers ?
 
I cannot walk into a building and say "I come in the name of the president of XYZ country".  I surely dont know the president and he/she surely doesnt know me.
 
There is a relationship required here. David had an intimate relationship with God. He knew who God is and he knew who he was in Him. This didnt come out of nowhere. Though he was anointed as king years ago and nothing majorily changed from a world aspect, he didnt let that affect his relationship with God.In fact he grew in the Lord. He had bears and lions come his ways and he got rid of them by His grace. He was growing and getting prepared for what is to come.
 
God is calling us to have an intimate relationship with Him. He is calling us to grow in Him.
 
May we keep growing in Him and look at anything that may come up that is not of God and say "I come in the name of the Lord of hosts". May it come from a place of knowing God and not as a magic formula that we think may work.
 
God Bless
 

No comments:

Post a Comment